Chris yates coventry online dating
By 1766 it was owned by the drapers' company of Coventry and let to a farmer.
It probably ceased to be a farmhouse in the early 19th century and by 1818 it was used for local committee meetings and, for a time, by the Sunday school.
From the end of Far Gosford Street at Gosford Green Walsgrave Road runs north-east across this area towards Leicester and Binley Road east towards Rugby.
In the north-west the Coventry Canal follows the line of the former parish boundary.
It was the fields of Stoke, including Stiffordhale and Wrydesden, which were outside the parish.
The tenants had rights of transit over Shortley for their ploughs and carts. 72) This comparatively small acreage clearly did not occupy the whole of the open fields.
Christopher Horne, then of Birmingham but earlier resident in Stoke, gave as glebe to the vicar. 59) The site of the house may have been the Hall Close or Hall Piece (also called Hill Close) which was listed in surveys of the glebe from 1764 onwards, but, according to a tradition current in the parish about that date, the house on this ground, which had long previously been demolished, had been that of the Holles family, including (in the late 15th century) Thomas, the father of Sir William Holles, Lord Mayor of London and donor of Coventry Cross. 60) A large medieval house, called Biggin Hall, stood on a moated site 300 yards south of the hamlet on the Binley road until the mid 19th century.
11) granted Harperswood in Stoke to Combe Abbey, his neighbour Thomas de Stoke had a house there. 12) Robert and Thomas de Stoke were witnesses to a charter of about 1250, (fn.But the most striking names are Parkfield, or Wrydesdon (Wrydesden) by the Park; this was Cheylesmore Park, and these fields lay outside the ancient parish on the other side of the River Sherbourne and between Shortley and the park. 71) The priory's rental of 1410-11 gives a fuller account of this curious arrangement.The priory's tenants - at will and for life - in Bigging held land both in the fields of Bigging and the fields of Stoke.The greater part of the west of the former parish is occupied by 19th-century, and of the east by modern, domestic building (1964).Stoke was not mentioned in Domesday Book, and first appears as one of the chapelries granted to Coventry Priory by Ranulf de Gernon in the early 12th century. 4) It was also mentioned in a grant of land by the same Ranulf to Liulph of Brinklow. 5) In their grant of lands to the priory in 1250 Roger and Cecily de Montalt reserved the services in Stoke of Robert de Stoke, Walter Deyville, Thomas de Neville, and Walter de Coventry. 6) In 1279 the principal freeholders in Stoke and Bigging were the priory, Robert de Stoke, Thomas de Ardern, Nicholas de Segrave, and Thomas de Wiltshire. 7) The estate of the Stoke family survived, held in direct descent, until the 16th century.
Search for chris yates coventry online dating:
The fact that similar rents were paid on the two estates and among both bond and free tenants (fn.